Playoff spots and a regular season in the Western Conference are up for grabs as the 2009 MLS regular season closes this coming weekend.
In the Western Conference, four teams; Chivas USA, the Houston Dynamo, Los Angeles Galaxy and Seattle Sounders FC, have a chance to come out as regular season conference champions. Chivas, Houston and Los Angeles currently share first place with 45 points while Seattle is one point behind the three teams.
Chivas USA has the best chance to take the title, as it plays two matches this weekend. Those two matches won't be easy however, as it travels to Chicago to face a Fire squad desperate to clinch a playoff spot, then returns home Sunday afternoon to face the Dynamo.
The Galaxy appear to have the easiest road to the West title, as it faces the last place San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday night. Los Angeles has the tiebreaker advantages over every team except Seattle. The Sounders though won't have it easy in its regular season finale, as it faces a red-hot FC Dallas squad that is looking to squeak into the playoffs.
The Western Conference race won't be the only focal point of the final weekend. Three playoff spots are up for grabs and seven teams are still alive in the chase. The Fire lead the way with 40 points and are currently second in the Eastern Conference. The Colorado Rapids have 40 points, but four teams, FC Dallas, DC United, Toronto FC and the New England Revolution, all have 39 points. Real Salt Lake has a punchers chance of making the playoffs, as it has 37 points going into the final week.
- MLS Playoff Preview
- European Recap
- MLS playoff matchups set.
- MLS in CONCACAF Champions League
- UEFA Champions League: A look back
- Look-ahead: MLS' Last Week of the Regular Season
- Donovan collects honors
- La Liga; A look back
- EPL; a look back
- A look back at MLS weekend 29
- US rallies for draw
- Davies injured in car crash
- USA headed to the World Cup
- USA-Honduras Preview
- Eurpoe; a look back
- Injuries riddle U.S. team ahead of Qualifiers
- MLS Weekend Oct. 2-4; A Look Back
- Serie A Look-ahead
- La Liga look-ahead
- US Roster for World Cup Qualifiers named
- Premier League look-ahead, October 3-4
- MLS Weekend preview October 2-4
- USA-Honduras to go on as scheduled
- UEFA Champions League review
- CONCACAF Champions League review
- ▼ October (25)