After taking a 5-0 beating at the hands of Cruz Azul at Estadio Azul back on August 27, the Columbus Crew looked to have a better showing in the second leg of the matchup at Crew Stadium.
However, instead of payback, Cruz Azul inched ever closer to a berth in the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League, as goals by Pablo Zeballos and Alejandro Vela propelled Cruz Azul to a 2-0 win over the host Crew.
Both Cruz Azul goals came in the first half, with Zeballos' goal coming in the 14th minute and Vela's strike coming in the 39th minute. A minute before Vela's goal, Cruz Azul's Horacio Cervantes elbowed Steven Lenhart while the two were positioning for a corner kick. No call was made however and a near-scrum ensued.
Cruz Azul leads the Crew by four points in the Group C standings with two matches left to play. The Crew still have a chance to grab the second spot in the group if it defeats Saprissa on the road next Tuesday.
DC United will be the last MLS team to resume CONCACAF Champions League play, as they host Marathon at RFK Stadium tommorow night.
- List of WPS Free Agents
- WPS news
- List of UEFA Champions League matchups for Wednesd...
- UEFA Champions League Preview
- Wigan upsets Chelsea
- Soccer week in review
- MLS look ahead, September 26-27
- MLS announces 2010 Home openers
- Premier League look-ahead, September 26-27
- Crew stumble again vs. Cruz Azul
- CONCACAF Champions League: Houston vs. Arabe Unido...
- Manchester classic
- Columbus Crew 2, Chicago Fire 2
- Final: Galaxy 2, Toronto FC 0
- Start of the second half
- 1-0 Galaxy at the half.
- Galaxy Goal!!!
- The Galaxy's first scoring chance.......
- As promised
- Update from Home Depot Center
- Live from the Home Depot Center
- Premier League weekend
- MLS Weekend September 18-20.
- MLS Tidbits
- MLS to break during World Cup 2010
- ▼ September (25)